Monday, December 5, 2011

Preemie Life - Day 38 Feeding Cues?

Dr. J rounded with the NICU team this morning, and asked, "Can we please feed this child more?"  "Why?" they wanted to know.  "Because she is hungry."  "How do you know?"  "Oh I don't know, the waking up early, the crying, the rooting, the fact that she frantically tries to eat anything that gets near her mouth."  Sometimes trying to communicate with doctors, even if you are a doctor is a difficult business.  But they listened and I now have permission to feed her on cue (when she is hungry) 3-4 times a day!  So yeah for baby Cheetah!  I'll be staying from now on at night to see if we can't help her build up here feeding muscles.  That means no more sleep filled nights for me.  Up every three hours or so like a normal parent.  It should be absolutely wonderful :)

***For the sake of clarification, everything underlined was said by Dr. J with the exception of the "Oh I don't know", but it wasn't said all snarky in the way it is presented on this blog.  That's the way I was thinking it.  Instead he presented this information in a professional, more humble manner that took longer then one sentence.  I happen to know this because 1) I was standing in the room listening, wishing they would hurry up on rounds so the nurse could come in and I could start Cheetah's feeding and 2) the nutritionist later told me she was silently cheering in the background because his arguments were so well presented there was no other choice but to allow her to breastfeed on demand.  Also Dr. J was right, the correct spelling is cues, not ques.  What can I say, I'm a horrible speller and proof reading these has never been high on my priority list.  But in fairness to me I've never been comfortable with cu saying the q sound.  Finally I didn't remove Dr. J's comment because I was feeling snarky, instead I removed it because he broke my cardinal rule of keeping the names off the blog.  Sorry honey it is the rule :)

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I was kind of wondering why you couldn't feed her if she is hungry...I am glad Dr. J spoke up and that they listened!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...