Monday, November 26, 2012

Sugar Cookies and a Prayer Request

Bridget Palmer I'm starting to hate this challenge.  I think maybe if I'd written a couple of blog post ahead of time I'd probably be happier...but I didn't.  Instead I'm stuck every night scrambling for what I want to talk about.    The truth is people I've really started to lose it when it comes to basic conversational skills.  The majority of my day is spent talking in high pitched mommy voice, with some interruptions of yelling "GET THAT CUSHION OFF YOU SISTER NOW!". Then when I do get around normal people (aka, people who are not three) I just start blurting out all kinds of tidbits, like I'm never going to have the opportunity to speak again.  Then I come home and think, "Why the heck did I share that, it didn't even pertain to the conversation being had.  People must think I'm nuts."  So excuse me, but I guess this blog post, and frankly the whole blog sort of resemble my true voice.  Watch out I don't start yelling about wearing socks outside.  Some random things I want to talk about.

Captain E's report card.  He came home with his second term report card.  Straight A's except one subject. Spelling.  My son is getting an F in spelling.  Now frankly we are sort of at a loss on what to do with this subject.  It isn't to say I don't see the value in spelling, but he is putting more time into studying this subject then any other and we are just not seeing any progress.  His teacher has tried several different things on how she is testing him but nothing has seen improvements yet.  I want the school to test him to see if has some type of learning struggle that is yet diagnosed but they seem resistant, maybe because he is doing so well in everything else.  I'm proud of the rest of his grades.  He works hard and is a sharp little thing.  He just can't spell.  Bring on spell check and laptops is all I have to say!

I yelled at Peach today.  Got right up in her face and was just mean.  It made me really sad, even while I was doing it, but I was also so frustrated about the fact that she insist on me putting her on the potty and if I can't for some reason, like maybe I'm nursing a baby or going to the bathroom or eating or whatever, then she'll just go stand in the bathroom and pee her pants.  It drives me crazy!  So I yelled at her.  And it made my head hurt and I felt like a horrible person, because for the most part today I'd kept my cool with her and her crazy, stubborn three year old ways.  But then I lost it on her.  So I put myself in a timeout but I still felt like crap, but then I was also still mad.  I'm always a little bit shocked at how hard this parenting thing is.  I wish I could be laid back, or not evil, or just more patient.  I worry I'm setting my kids up to be like me, not teaching them right.  It is a nerve wracking job being a parent.

I found this sugar cookie recipe in my e-mail again today.  My sister sent it to me years ago and it is by far the best sugar cookies I've ever had.  I actually like these and I hate sugar cookies, so that is saying a lot.  With Christmas just around the corner a good sugar cookie recipe is a must have.

2 C. Sugar
4 Cubes margarine or butter
6 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla
7 C. Flour
6 tsp. baking powder

Cream sugar, margarine and eggs.   Add vanilla.  Sift flour and baking powder together and add to creamed mixture.  Makes a sticky dough.  Roll out 1/4 in thick in lots of flour.  Cut out and place on cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 for 4-6 minutes.  Bake on 2nd shelf.  If cookies are brown on they bottom they are overdone.

Finally and most importantly prayers for my Mops friend Cari and her family.  Her husband went in for surgery today to remove a returning brain tumor.  The prognosis is not good.  She is an amazing woman with an amazing story.  You can read more about her on her blog www.andyandcari.blogspot.com.  I get really frustrated with life sometimes.  I get overwhelmed and wrapped up in the piles on every surface, on the laundry that doesn't get done, on the husband who is late home from work, or the children who are stubborn.  Sometimes it can be easy to forget how sweet life is, what a blessing each moment with our loves ones really is.  Cari's young family has had some crazy struggles and her positive attitude and faith are an inspiration to me.  If you have a moment please say a prayer for her and her family.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the 3-yr-old thing...only it's with my 5-yr-old still. Complete yelling match tonight. It was awful.

    I sent her to bed and she was angry so she sat on her bed and screamed at me. She positioned herself just so she could stare me in the face while I was nursing Benjamin on the couch. So I moved.

    She stopped screaming for a minute and Benjamin fell asleep. But then she thought of something else to yell so she did and startled Benjamin (he's a nervous little guy) who started screaming so I yelled that I was so frustrated and then she yelled some more and Miriam started crying, too.

    All four of us were screaming...it was awesome. Not.

    So there's that. *sigh*

    I think it comes from never being spelled off.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's husband. I will definitely pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try adding mint to your sugar cookies. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your comment about blurting out random tidbits. I do that too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only parent who needs time outs. Have I ever told you about the time I through a book across the room out of anger in front of Skylie. It was months ago, and she won't let me forget it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...