Thursday, January 6, 2011

Yummy No Meat Dinners - Lentils with Noodles, Fake Lasagna

In my day I try to eat about 60% raw but that doesn't mean I have any desire to be a vegetarian.  I like meat.  It taste good.  That being said I've watched enough Eating Meat documentaries to have some qualms about the stuff.  So for the most part I try to only eat the best product I can and limit how much of it we eat.  So here are two fun meatless dishes we ate this week.

Lentils With Noodles


Saute the white part of green onions and garlic in olive oil.

 Add broth, either veggie or chicken.

After the lentils are soft add stewed tomatoes. 
Boil water and add ditalini. Boil for 7 minutes.  Strain.

 . 
 Put noddles in a bowl, throw lentils on top, add sliced scallions.  For extra goodness throw on a few chunks of cream cheese.  This dish is totally delicious.  It is like something we ate in Egypt that I still dream about.  It is also popular in the Mediterranean. 

Fake Out Lasagna

One of the meals that Captain E really enjoys is stuffed shells.  The problem, I always end up with way to much stuffing.  I decided that I would use the extra to make lasagna.  Imagine my surprise when I realized I only had three levels left.  Ahhh.  So instead I just cooked up some whole wheat penne noodles and my three .  I added a just a plain spaghetti sauce (sauteed garlic, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, a dash of salt, a sprinkle of pepper, oregano, basil).  I added it to the penne noodles, threw the ricotta mix on top, added mozzarella, and then put the three lasagna noodles on top.  More sauce and mozzarella and I was done :) 


1 comment:

  1. Yum! Thanks for posting. I'm going to cook up some lentils soon! Are you basically just using them as a meat replacement? I do that all the time with quinoa so I suppose I could just do lentils instead sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...