Sunday, October 23, 2011

Premature Birth Plan - Day 7 Sunday Confessional - Yes I called my honey a stupid boy today!

It is amazing to me to think that just one week ago I was laying in triage crying my eye out, worrying about what was going to happen with my baby, thinking that in a few hours little one was going to join me only to be rushed to the NICU, wondering how Dr. J was going to be able to continue working, and what was going to happen to my children!  It was an overwhelming 31st birthday to be sure.  One week later, only five more weeks to go until we meet our sweet baby and I feel like I've learned so much.  1) it is possible for a baby to be in a womb with amniotic fluid leaking.  Originally I thought that would be an instant birth me now emergency but IT ISN'T!  THAT IS AMAZING!  2) Amniotic fluid is baby pee...which means if it starts leaking out it actually gets replenished, which means it just continues to leak out until baby decides to drop down low enough to block the flow...we aren't there yet.  And how did I miss what amniotic fluid is...for crying out loud my degree is in human biology.  3)  If you want the nurses to love you, just hide out in your room quite and they will call you the biggest sweetie on the floor.  4) Nap when you can.  Last night I didn't get into triage until 1:30am in the morning for my one hour evening baby monitor session.  They had been super busy and that was just the first time they could fit me in.  So nap when you can because you just can't guarantee a good night's rest in the hospital.  5) While on bed rest losing weight is actually more of a concern then gaining weight.  WHAT?  I was pretty sure three meals a day in bed was going to make me heavier...well it hasn't....and it has.  Because I'm pretty sure I'm getting fatter by the day, BUT laying in bed all day means losing muscle...so losing weight, but not the good kind!  Blah!  6) Having a good relationship with your mother-in-law can pay off dividends greater then the original investment.  From the first time I meet my mother-in-law I thought she was fun to be around.  It has made it easy for me to enjoy time with her and to be able to feel like a member of her family.  I've always tried to be a good daughter in law to her by showing her respect and taking care of her son and grand kids and it has paid off in her taking care of me like any mother would.  Without her there is no way this would be possible!  7) I have great friends and family.  All of their visits really lift my spirits.  Today the bishop and his wife came by, slightly embarrassing when your outfit consist of a t-shirt, hospital gown, and mesh panties.  Thank goodness I had a sheet that I could pull up, but still that was an awkward 30 minutes :)  8) You can save treats and activities given to you by guest and use them to feed and entertain your lovely visiting kids.  My friend Andrea came today with pumpkin doughnut holes and along with those, cookies the nurses gave me, food from the hospital, and some stuff I got from mops and the nurses I kept my kids entertained for almost two hours.  They ate "fun" snacks with mom, colored, and did word puzzles.  It was nice to see them and made me feel good that they think playing at the hospital is actually fun! 9) My husband is a STUPID, STUPID BOY!  At least that is what I told him today when he came to visit.  Every night after work, hubby stops by to chat, today he kicked his shoes off, grabbed a pillow and started to fall asleep beside me.  I turned the lights off and reached my hand out to touch his legs and I swear to you I actually felt electricity build in my fingers and jump out and touch his calf.  And then I started to cry.  And then I told him he was a stupid, stupid boy!  Because for the most part I've been able to stay cool about the whole situation and keep the tears to a minimum but turns out I love that lug so much it actual hurts sometimes to think about.  Ten years and I love the man more than I did the day I married him!  How is that for disgusting and cool all in one :)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, the world will see you as stupid for becoming so vulnerable and opening yourself up so completely to love--but who wants the world's wisdom anyway. May you find warmth and solace in hugs from your sweet hubby--as well as an ipod to save you from triage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, happy and sad! So, that's so cool about replenishing of amniotic fluid aka baby pee! I'd never thought of that before!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...