Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Really Netflix

So I got this lovely e-mail in my box today....

Dear Glenda the Good

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.
            Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:
       Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
         Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

    Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.
    These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.
     You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.
    We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.
–The Netflix Team

What is a girl to do?  I recently had a run in with the u-verse salesmen when he told me I was the lame mom in the neighborhood because I didn't feel like my kids needed cable.  Here is my reasoning 1) The cost.  We are still living on a budget, and I just don't feel like adding $50 bucks plus a month to my entertainment column.  2) There is a ton of junk on TV.  I don't need my kids stumbling on HBO.  3) There is tons of stuff I would watch on TV.  I'm not going to lie, I love TV, shows like Law and Order, the Closer, CSI, all the cop shows run 24 hours a day.  Add to that the nature, medicine, and home improvement shows and I'd never stop watching.  Plus then my kids would want to watch cartoons all day long, and my husband would be glued to ESPN the second he walked in the door.  I see no reason to up the temptation like that.  For years we only had free TV and our kids only got PBS but when they change TV over we were never able to get "public television" again, even after we bought a new TV that supposedly would pick it up.  Thanks FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!  So a few years ago we switched over to Netflix.  We've loved it.  They had streaming we could watch any time a day either on our computer or on our TV using our Wii and we were able to get movies we wanted to watch in the mail, for much less then we'd pay for cable each month.  Plus because there is no set schedule on the programs if I want to let my kids watch a movie, I can.  If I want them to watch later, I can just have them watch later.  Dr. J and I have used the movies as our date nights.  Plus they've recently added many PBS programs so my kids can see some of the educational programs they've been missing out on.  For $10 a month we've been getting a lot of value.  Today though I got this e-mail telling me the price will be going up, and while $16 is not a ton it is enough to make me reevaluate my relationship.  We mostly just stream so I ask myself do I just switch to streaming?  But then streaming never has new releases and there are still plenty of older movies that aren't available on streaming (I'm talking about you Back to the Future).  I like the ability to order movies when I want.  If I switched to streaming I could theoretically get movies from redbox, but that wouldn't take care of the older ones.  Do I return to Block Buster a store I thought I'd never visit again?  Do I pay the extra $72 a month?  Oh Netflix, thanks a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...