Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jamie and Me


My personal life revolves around hunger.  I wake each morning with an empty stomach because my three baby birds are squawking to be fed.  I climb out of bed and feed them.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, planning, buying, preparing, eating, cleaning up after...FOOD RULES MY LIFE!  There was a time when I actual enjoyed food, but nine years of being the major procurer and preparer in my home has left me in a lurch.  Peanut butter and jelly, quesadillas, pancakes, green smoothies, spaghetti, tacos, cereal, stir fry, salad, hummus, pizza.  We eat the same seven or eight things almost constantly.  If I ask the kids what they want their answers will be pizza, chicken nuggets, or eggs.  If I ask Dr. J, ninety percent of the time he will say stir fry or pasta.  WE NEED AN INTERVENTION!  I tried making dhal and naan using some online recipes I found.  At best you could describe my attempts as bland.  A friend suggested I grab Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  Today I picked it up and found three new recipes I'm willing to try this week and so here it is, Jamie and Me, a blatant rip off of The Julie and Julia Project only much simpler because let's face it I'm never going to be up to Julia Child's cooking caliber or for that matter Julie Powell's writing and daily blog prowess .  Also only three people are ever going to read it.  You guys know who you are!  I need a lift though and I'm hoping Jamie can bring it. 

What I need from a cookbook:
-Food affordability.  There is only a certain amount of money to spend each month.
-Quality ingredients and Health.  Whole food, home prepared, lots of veggies, fruits, variety, and organic are important to me.
-Easy.  I hate when cookbooks are hard to follow.
-Availability of ingredients.  Three kids mean I only want to shop once a week at one store.  If they don't have what I need them I'm out of luck.  Recipes that take too many fancy ingredients or fancy equipment aren't for me. 
-Limited prep and cook time.  Who wants to be in the kitchen forever?
-Taste.  Who wants to eat something that taste like hud.  I don't and there is no way I could force my three baby birds to either!

Jamie save me!  Take this stay at home mom out of her rut!  Interested in his movement, check it out here.  Thanks to April, who is a cooking and cook book fiend, for cluing me in.

2 comments:

  1. I'm grinning from ear to ear right now. We've cooked through about half of the book so far and have never had one of his recipes that isn't amazing. Good for you, Crystal. *proud*

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm guessing since I don't know if I'm one of the three people who will read this who know who they are, that I'm not one of those three people. But I'm excited to read about this! Have fun! Tell me details!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...