Wednesday, September 10, 2014

July Book Reviews 30-32

The problem with not doing this reviews in the month that I'm reading is I completely forget what books I'm reading.  I know for a fact I read more books than this but these were the only three that were on my kindle and I just can not remember.  So yikes, here are the three I can remember.


The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
This is a weird little collection.  I was getting pretty desperate for reading material but I was living in a city with no library..well apparently there is a library but it had a very limited selection so I was pretty much just down to what I could get on my kindle for free.  The Secret Garden was first up.  I watched this movie when I was kid quite a few times and I always liked it but reading it was seriously just so delicious.  I think I was super psyched because we were going to be in London in just a few days, add to that the fact that I'm a BBC junkie and well it just makes sense.  I think most people have a basic idea of what The Secret Garden is about, little girl grows up in India with fairly distant parents.  Ends up being completely spoiled and horrible.  After her parents die she is sent to live with her hermit uncle on his huge Estate.  He is even more distant than her parents and while he provides for her physical needs he has no time for a child.  Left to her own devices Mary becomes obsessed with solving an Estate mystery about a secret garden and a wailing sound off the moor.  Such a great story.  If you have only ever seen the movie I strongly suggest you read the book.  It's just a great piece of classic literature.  If you have children it is a great book to read out loud as well!  I would definitely recommend this.    

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Book 1) - Chanda Hahn
So along with my old books are free books, self published books are also free.  That's how I ended up with UnEnchanted.  This books wasn't amazing, but considering the source it wasn't half bad.  Mina Grime isn't popular, shes super uncoordinated, and she spends most of her life just trying to disappear.  Then on a field trip she both causes and accident and savers her crush who almost dies as a result of that accident.  This leads to the discovery that she actually the great, great, great, great, great granddaughter of the Brother's Grimm and that she carries the same curse that have lead all her fellow grandparents to early deaths.  This is nice little YA with some magic and romance.  I'm not going to lie, even thought it wasn't the greatest I got sucked in.  This is part of a series.  I'm super curious if these got better as they went.


The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - Barbara Robinson
This book follows a small town Christmas pageant.  For reasons I'm not going to go into the worst kids in town end up at Church on the day the Christmas pageant parts are being chosen and end up getting all the rolls.  These hooligans are going to destroy Christmas...or are they.  Short, cute, a great little Christmas read!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...