Sunday, March 17, 2013

This Is a Post About Food - Lots of Food


 This is a post about food, lots and lots of food.  When I was a girl I used to tell my dad I loved different food items and he used to tell me, "You can't love food.  You can only love people."  Well dad I'm sorry to say I'm 32 years old and I still love food.  It is necessary, it is delicious, it brings families together.  So here is a post about food.  

Photo: Getting serious about pi
PI
So first pic is from the 14th, national PI day.  We decided to celebrate with a strawberry pie.  It was delicious.  Do you like the can of whipping creme?  Personally I'm a fan of whipping my own but the kids love the stuff in the can...it is the spray ability.  They go crazy for it. Before we ate our pie I taught the kids how to find the circumference of a circle using pi, using the pie we had in front of us and a quick measure of the pie's diameter.  That's the kind of math I like, the delicious kind.







Photo: Spanish spaghetti via Bridget Palmer #itlooksdelishSpanish Spaghetti
I have a couple of girlfriends that I met in Jordan almost seven years ago that because of the power of blogs I've stayed in contact with even as we and they have moved all over the place.  One recently posted about a dish called Spanish Spaghetti that her family has been making for years and that her Filipino house helper loves so much she took a couple of pans full to a wedding she was going to.  Did I mention Bridget lives in the UAE.  I think since I've known her she's lived in three different states, and three different countries.  She's just cool like that.  Anyway I read the recipe on her post, The Journey of a Recipe, and thought, "Um yes this sounds delicious."  So two days ago I tried it out.  Here are her instructions as I did them.

Spanish Spaghetti  via Bridget Palmer
One Box of Pasta
Bacon (I used turkey and chopped it before I put it in the pan)
One Chopped Green Pepper (I used half a yellow, half a green)
One Chopped Onion
On Can of Diced Tomatoes (or fresh)
Two Cups Grated Cheese
Black Olives, Sliced

Boil the pasta.  In a separate pan cook the bacon.  Saute the onions and peppers with the bacon.  Strain the pasta.  Combine all the ingredients in a 9x13 pan and stir until mixed.  Cover with foil and bake 30-45 minutes in the oven at 350.  So good!  Thanks Bridget!

Photo: If you are my kid not loving salad is a non option :)
Asian Chicken Salad
I love Salads.  I just do.  We have a salad available with almost all of our dinners.  In the summer we probably eat salad for dinner at least twice a week.  Recently I've been really into this Asian Chicken Salad.  I eat it all the time.  Sometimes I eat it for lunch.  Sometimes I eat it for dinner.  Sometimes I even eat it for breakfast.  My favorite part, the dressing. I make tons of it.

Asian Dressing
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons rice vinegar

I pour it all in a mason jar, put the lid on and just shake it up!

Photo: Our Irish dinner.
Today was St. Patrick's Day so we made Irish food to celebrate.  I threw a roast, a bunch of potatoes, a diced onion, and 1/2 a bag of baby carrots into the crock pot.  I cranked it up to high for 4 hours.  Then the last hour I threw some cabbage in.  Gigi loved it, cabbage and all.  Captain E thought it was good, all except the cabbage.

Photo: I'm a sucker for advertisement...obviously I've been watching too much Hulu :)
I get sucked into commercials.  It's bad news and a reason that it's good that I don't have regular TV, but I do watch hulu and my hulu must know I "love" food because they keep flashing me the commercials of muller yogurt.  I got this one at Costco this week.  The fruit stuff is weird.  The yogurt is yum.  I've got to get my hands on the nuts one.

Photo: Making some strawberry freezer jam....yum!!!!
Strawberries have been super cheap this week so I bought a ton.  I bagged and froze a bunch of them and then I made strawberry freezer jam.  Yup, it's loaded with sugar, but it is delicious.

Photo: Horchata this mini Mexican up!
We went out twice this week.  The first time was for Mexican food.  The food was so/so but the horchata was delicious.  Man I love horchata and apparently so does Tiny T.
Photo: Five guys with my one guy!
Our second time out was to five guys.  We've never been there before and it was pretty yum.  That being said I decided while I was there I was pretty much done with fries.  I just like the burgers better.  I want to waste all my calories on that.  So there you go.  Please don't temp me with fries anymore.

Photo: Sweet and savory crepes for dinner!  Yum!!!
Finally one night when I just didn't feel like making dinner I made crepes.  We did sweet crepes and we did savory crepes.  They were so good.  So dad I don't know what to tell you.  I love food.

2 comments:

  1. Heehee! You must be my daughter then sweetie! Since in my book love = food and food = love !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a night that you don't want to make dinner you make crepes?! You're amazing because on nights I don't want to have dinner we make sandwiches. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...