Saturday, August 6, 2011

Berry Picking

We feel so lucky about the neighborhood we moved into.  We've found amazing friends!  On Thursday we went berry picking with our friend A, and her daughters B and K at at a u pick farm about 30 minutes away.  G bear wanted to make sure she looked nice before the outing :)
Do you like my headband?

Because I love it?

Captain E looking for berries.

Hmmm, where are more berries?

Maybe over here?

Working together.

Peach spent most of her time eating berries.  Her siblings an I kept adding berries to her bucket only to find it almost empty each time we returned.  Watching her for a few seconds and I realized why...every time we filled her bucket, she started filling her mouth.  It didn't take her long to munch through our offerings.

Here is B gathering her offerings.  She kept telling me she was going to use her berries to make a special treat with her dad.  What a cutie!

Here are the fruits of our labor.  I don't know if you can tell but this is a lot of berries.  We made one pie, jam, froze some, and kept some to just eat.  The kids worked hard!

Freezer jam?  This is the thing that drives me crazy about jam, look how much sugar goes into this sweet stuff.  I have a recipe for sugar free pectin but I didn't have any grape juice to make it and so far I've had little success with sugar free jam setting.  Has anyone had any luck?  Oh well, this white drug is what my kids were eating today and boy did they love it.

The whole time we were picking berries G bear kept saying, when we get home we're going to make a pie. 


She was so excited to be baking.

Peach is standing around waiting to help.  Do you like the scratch on her head?  She was sitting on the bench at church and then she was falling forward on her head, got a piece of the bench in front of us on the way down. 

This farm is amazing...not only do they have berries, but they also have apples, pears, peaches, tomatoes, and squash.  They also have frozen veggies/fruit that they do themselves, peas, corn, mushrooms, and berries.  They also do apple cider slushies.  Can I say I was in heaven :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...