Tuesday, January 24, 2012
1) Kidney stones are extremely painful.
2) Hot water makes it just a tiny bit less painful.
3) Pain meds can and will make you puke.
4) Ignore pain meds and pain can make you puke.
5) Having a kidney stone gives men a window into the world of womanhood. The first night after the surgery Dr. J called me into the bathroom. "Sweetie, sweetie, look at this!" "What?" I asked. "Um the toilet." Well it turns out wives don't think blood in the toilet is that big of a deal. Then there is the stent. Having a stent apparently makes you feel like you have to pee all the time, even when there is nothing to pee. And there you have pregnancy. Also turns out that a stuck stone can actually mimic that waxing and waning pain of contractions. The only difference...at the end of a pregnancy you have a beautiful little baby. At the end of stone you have burning urination and a filter full of sand.
Word to the wise they have cool ultra sound technology that can break up stones now, but if you take ibuprofen they can't do it for seven days. Do not take ibuprofen!!!!