Monday, February 4, 2013

A Healthier Almond Joy

 So I was craving an Almond Joy today.  I blame the Orange Rhino girl.  I have always felt guilty about yelling, but I was born into it.  I will swear I'm never going to do it again, and then I yell, and then I feel guilty, and then I cycle again.  It was so annoying.  But when I read her blog (saw it on pinterest...who pinned it first, maybe Kami, I don't remember) I thought if this woman can do this for a year then I can do it as well.  So I recommitted.  And so far it's been three days. And those of you with young kids are probably thinking, what they heck is wrong with this lady, why can't she make it longer then that, but let me tell you, when you have a cranky baby, a stubborn toddler, a defiant six year old, and a high strung eight year old, well sometimes it is hard to keep your cool.  But knowing there is someone out there who is doing it, and reading some of her tips (well they seem silly at the time but honestly it helps just to try something else) is helping.  That being said I still have a lot of stress build up, and today that stress told me I wanted a candy bar, like, really, really, really wanted one.  I was standing in the check out line at Meijer thinking, would it be that big of a deal if I just bought an Almond Joy?  I'd been at the gym today though and it seemed like a crying shame to counter that with a candy bar.  So I came home thinking, I want to make something that will fill that need for me, but maybe I can make it just a tad healthier.

I started with 1/2 cup of sun dried figs that I'd chopped and 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut.  (If I'd had dates I think those totally would have worked as well).  I blended them together in my food processor.
 Then I got dirty and squished the mixture with my hands.  I made little balls and put them in some cupcake holders.
 Peach added an almond to each one.  I sort of wish I would have had her add a few more.
Next I melted 1/3 of a cup of Ghirardelli's 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzled it over the tops.  I stuck the whole thing in the fridge to cool.  They are delicious, not quite the same as a an Almond Joy, but definitely filled the need for me.  I estimate they are about 87 calories a pop, and with coconut in them not exactly fat free, but they are loaded with fiber, nuts, and fruit, and in my book calories from fruit never count :)



1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! Good idea to use the figs. I love me a good Almond Joy - actually Bounty over here which taste even better. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...