Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Gigi's Baptism

 One of the things we did while home was baptize Gigi.  I had sort of mixed feelings about the whole thing.  I am totally devoted to being Christian.  I love it.  The idea of Jesus Christ, the teachings, even if you just believed it was a myth it speaks to me on a deeply personal level.  The way I was introduced to Christ though was through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It is the church I've attended my whole life.  There is lots of stuff I like about it, even love, but there are things in its past and present that I don't agree with.  I have wrestled with this a lot lately.  What matters in life?  Is a perfect church necessary or even needed or even possible?  What is the best choice for me and my family?  There have been times when I've thought maybe I should just leave the church but the church is how I came to know Christ and it is a deep part of my history both personal and familial (my father pointed out that Gigi was 6th generation).  It is hard to leave that kind of security, especially if a lot of the good parts in your life have revolved around church.  My sister also likes to point out that I'm a church going kind of person.  It is just something that brings me comfort.  I probably would have made a great Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, or Buddhist, but I was born Mormon and so I make a goodish (I'm probably a little too liberal to be great) Mormon even if I'm not always a totally satisfied one and so that is where I go but this last few years, this month in particular, I've been especially frustrated.  So even up until the day of her baptism I said to my husband, "Are we making the right choice?  Is this something that we will later regret or that she will regret?"  I don't know the answer but I do know that even with all my swirling self doubt and with the fact that who knows what the future holds when I got to the church I was filled with such warmth, with peace, and with calm.  When she was baptized I felt nothing but good and so I'm going with that.  We were lucky to have family to join us.  Grandpa Wid and Grandma Jane were there.  Nana Elizabeth and Papa Rhys were there.  Grandma Linda and Grandpa Bob were there.  Grandpa Bryant and Grandma Deb were there. Leslie my sister in law and her husband Cole and her two little ones were there.  Leslie was kind enough to play the piano.  My cousin Sami, her husband Steve and her kids were there along with my cousin Sam's son Sam.  Uncle Taylor came.  Aunt Toni came and then my friend Nancy's mother in-law came.  I was so grateful that she had taken the time.  I feel like I've created this little family of blogging friends who I can share my frustrations, my hopes, and my dreams with and I've been lucky to be able to include some of their families and friends into our little family.  Karen said when she came up to give me a hug after and give Gigi a necklace that we have to stick together.  That meant a lot to me.  I put together a really cute program but it has everyone's full names on it so I think I'll just save that.  I also did a voice recording of Grandpa Wid's talk.  If I can figure out how to download it I will try and link it up. It was a great day.  She was happy, we were happy, and I'm so grateful to everyone who came out to support Gigi. 



























8 comments:

  1. You all look great. Congrats to Gigi!

    And how nice that Karen came. I enjoyed meeting her at Rachel's baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting BOTH our moms. I know my mom really wanted to go as well. I'm happy it turned out to be a beautiful, spirit-lifting day for you guys!

    I listened to Elder Christofferson's talk yesterday morning (or this morning? I dunno; all my mornings kind of blur together by the evening) called "Why the Church?" and found myself loving a lot of what he said. This, in particular, "In this discussion of the Church as the body of Christ, we must always bear in mind two things. One, we do not strive for conversion to the Church but to Christ and His gospel, a conversion that is facilitated by the Church."

    But the rest was lovely, too. Anyway...I agree with you that there have been some hard times lately. :/ But I'm glad that Gigi's baptism day was a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. She sent me a really nice email telling me she wished she and Josie could come but they were going to be in Canada. It probably shouldn't be a surprise since we are friends but I think your mom's are awesome!

      Delete
  3. It was an honor to be there--you and your family are pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous that Karen got to go and I didn't--but I am super glad that Karen could go! We are living in really hard times. We DO need to stick together. United we stand, divided we fall. (Now the song is playing in my head...) It sounds like a lovely event with lots of family solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we wouldn't want to make Nancy too jealous :) It was great and I'm glad we all have each other.

      Delete
  5. The dress and the snow look great together!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...